We call potatoes imo. Round potatoes with brown skins are called jagaimo. Larger and sweet ones with red skins are satsumaimo. Satoimo is a kind of taro. They have brown hairy skins.
The upper part of the character depicts a plant. The lower part looks like a part of another character that means pride. One of the interpretations is that the character shows a root of which you can be proud if you dig it up. Alternatively, it may be interpreted that potatoes are plants that have their pride in their roots.
- Write the horizontal stroke on the top.
- Write the short vertical stroke crossing the first stroke.
- Write the sweeping dot from the top right.
- Begin to write the lower part. Write the shorter horizontal stroke.
- Write the longer horizontal stroke.
- Write the vertical stroke with an upward turn.